Come Join Us
WHO WE ARE
Northumberland Master Gardeners was established
in 2005 and is a member of Master Gardeners
of Ontario (MGOI).
Established in 1985, Master Gardeners of Ontario is a registered charity run by volunteers dedicated to providing accurate and relevant horticultural information to the public.
A Master Gardener has successfully completed an educational program and contributes over 30 hours of service annually. These experienced and knowledgeable gardeners volunteer their time to share their
expertise with the public.
JOIN US TODAY
There are long term benefits for those who participate in the program.
As a Master Gardener you will:
• Provide a valuable resource to your community
• Increase your knowledge of plants and gardening in Ontario
• Network, share ideas, and work with others who have similar interests
• Develop your communication, presentation and leadership skills.
• Participate in technical updates and other education activities.
MASTER GARDENERS CAN HELP YOU
There are a number of ways that Master Gardeners can
help in their communities.
• conducting advice clinics at local events
• organizing educational programs for children and adults
• giving horticultural presentations
• developing displays
• writing media articles
HOW TO BECOME A MASTER GARDENER
The first step is to contact a member of Northumberland Master Gardeners. You will then
be invited to attend one of our meetings and write an eligibility test.
If you choose to join you will become a Master Gardener in Training (MGIT).
You will be required to volunteer at least 30 hours per year in advice giving and administrative activities.
You must also complete the educational requirements within three years. There are three possible educational paths.
• Successfully complete three specified online courses offered by the University of Guelph.
• Successfully complete four specified online courses in the Master Gardener Program from Dalhousie University’s Faculty of Agriculture.
• Pass the Certification Exam with a score of 70% or better. This option is for those who have prior education or experience or who complete an extensive self directed study program.
For more information:
Facebook: Northumberland Master Gardeners (Ontario)